Lately my drum practice involves doing drills of this form:
- Start with a standard rock backbeat (kicks on 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4).
- Fill in ghost notes and kicks in 16th note slots at random.
- Practice the resulting groove until fluency.
- Start with a three (or four, or six, or eight) note fill.
- Figure out every combination of hands and feet you can use to play those four notes.
- Practice each one until fluency.
This kind of enumeration is a pain, so for fun I made a React Native app to randomly generate grooves that satisfy those constraints.
I’d say… maybe half of them are worth practicing. Here are some of the better ones:
If someone knows of an app that already does things like this for me… please let me know!